Is Diane Farrell in campaign mode?
After her statement on President Bush's Tuesday night address and mentioning Chris Shays support for the war, it might seem like Farrell might be gearing up to take on Shays again in the 4th district although she hasn't declared that she is running yet.
Selectwoman Diane Farrell is keeping quiet on her plans to run for higher office next year despite making a statement regarding the president's Tuesday night speech. Last year, Farrell lost a close race to U.S. Rep. Christopher Shays, R-4, and intends to leave her current office this fall after four years. While many people have speculated what her plans are for the 2006 election, which features both federal and state positions, Farrell has not announced her plans. Questions, however, may be stirred after Farrell sent a news release Tuesday in advance of the president's speech that night about the war in Iraq. In the release, Farrell calls for the president to be honest with the American people about the war and also quoted Shays as saying that the American people are "hungry for honesty."
Farrell hasn't said one way or another if she is going to run against Shay's but their is speculation that she will make an announcement within the next couple of weeks.
When asked if she plans to run against Shays again, Farrell would not say yes or no. "I'm not saying one way or another at this point," she said. "My concerns are about his decision to support the war." Adam Wood, Farrell's campaign manager from last year who sent the release, deferred questions about her potential candidacy to Farrell. Several sources, however, say there may be an announcement within the next two weeks about Farrell's potential campaign, but it will not be a specific campaign announcement.
If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Farrell challenging Shays again. The last election ended with Shays winning by a small margin and with polls showing public dissaproval of Republicans in Congress, Farrell might have a chance to unseat Shays.